Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday #123 Best Book of the Month!

In March I read 2 new books. (Plus many articles, some of which were quite good, but not relevant here.)
I read

Cara M gave 5 of 5 stars to:
The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill
The Mostly True Story of Jack
by Kelly Barnhill (Goodreads Author)
read in March, 2012
My rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)
shelf: read
When I first started to read this book, just picking it up at the library, a chill crept down my spine. A book about a boy who feels ignored by his parents, sent to stay with his aunt, a skateboard, a crumbling old house, a parent who is split in tw...more

and

Cara M gave 4 of 5 stars to:
Ramage by Dudley Pope
My rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing
shelf: read

They were both interesting and fun and I enjoyed them quite a lot.  But in March I also reread a book.

Cara M gave 5 of 5 stars to:
Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge
My rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)
shelf: read


Have YOU read this book yet?  Have you?
Because this book is honestly wonderful.  And sure, it's an MG, but it's an MG that is a lot smarter than most adult literary fiction.  And it's funny and thrilling and exciting, as well as being smart and sharp and Spot On.

NB. There is no magic in this book.  There are unions and kings and geese and the printing press, but no magic.  Call it fantasy at your peril.  But it's not realism, historical, dystopian, or sci fi either.  It's not a genre.  It is just an excellent book.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED Fly By Night! And finished Fly Trap, its sequel, last month. That one rocked too. The other two books here I haven't read, but I've heard of the Mostly True Story of Jack.

    I can tell my TBR list is going to be growing again!

    ReplyDelete