Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday #99

 This week's topic:

What supporting character from a YA book would you most like to see star in their own novel?

I'm going to go all out with this one.  Being a fanficcer at heart, I know that at least if there is a character I thought was short changed and would have loved to know more about, I would go and hunt down the fic for them.  But sometimes even that recourse would fail.

Sometimes it didn't: 

Janine Kishi was super awesome.  She was smart, and interesting, and tried to be helpful (Apostrophes are important!).  I always wanted to know more about her, what she was doing and what was going on in her life that her self-absorbed little sister just ignored.

Shockingly enough, I wasn't the only one.  But this other person thought: you know what would be even better, if Janine was a mutant and went to Xavier's Academy. (See fic here)

So that's what I'd like to see, Janine's Super-Smart Mutant Adventures.  Or even if she wasn't a mutant, she clearly needs a bigger scope than Connecticut.  I could see her as a James Bond sort of character, saving the world from evil, with Science!
Janet Chant is another character I wanted more of.  Stolen from her own world into a world with magic by her evil double, choosing to give up her family to a girl who needed it more... These are interesting things!  And I want to know what happens next!  

 (Saiorse Ronan as Janet/Gwendolyn)
You're not supposed to be able to stay in a different world for too long.  When she grows up will she have to go back?  What will she do with her life?  Is she ever going to fall in love? 
 I don't suppose we'll ever know.


Edited to Add: Janet Chant is from the book Charmed Life, by Diana Wynne Jones.  It's... possibly my favorite book, YA or not.)

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, the Janet Chant book sounds good. Reminds me of Fringe :) Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite pick of the day--Janine. It would be awesome to see an outsider's thought on the BSC, and Janine herself is a great character. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I never would have thought of this, but I totally agree that a Janine BSC book would be great. And that second book sounds good! What's it titled?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I love your take on this. I'd totally buy the book Janine Kishi: Mutant. Claudia was always my favorite BSC character, so Janine held s special place in my heart by default. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I forgot to say that Janet Chant is from Charmed Life, by Diana Wynne Jones, one of my favorite books ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, what? Yes, sign me up for the BSC/X-Men universe. Letter-writing campaign? Petition?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete